Satellite Imaging Corporation is the official Value Added Reseller (VAR) of imaging and geospatial data products for:
Do you like what you see here?
In addition to these external resources, we also maintain information and specifications about the satellite technology we use on a daily basis.
Satellite Imaging Resources
- Freeware Geospatial Data Viewers, ECW and JPEG2000 Plug-In Software
- Definitions of Terms (Glossaries)
- Resources and Related Links
- Recommended Remote Sensing and GIS Software
- Technical Documents
- Associations and Societies
Freeware Geospatial Data Viewers, ECW and JPEG2000 Plug-In Software
The following links are made available to download Freeware Imagery and Geospatial Data Viewers, ECW and JPEG2000 Plugins to view and manipulate digital imagery and shapefiles:
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Resources and Related Links
GIS Resources on the Web
- University of Nevada at Reno
- University of Oregon
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS)
- Grids & Datums
- Guide to Land Imaging Satellites
- ASPRS Bookstore
Recommended Remote Sensing and GIS Software
- Global Mapper
Viewer capable of displaying the most popular raster, elevation and vector datasets. Converts, edits, prints, tracks GPS and allows you to utilize GIS functionality on your datasets in one low-cost and easy-to-use software package.
Geodesy/Mapping and GPS Tutorials
The following links include materials developed by Peter H. Dana (Department of Geography at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas, United States) in 1995.
- Geodetic Datum Overview
- Mapping Projection Overview
- Coordinate Systems Overview
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
The above link describes what GIS technology is, how it works, and what it is used for. Provided by the United States Geological Survey.
Remote Sensing Tutorial
The above link will connect you to a remote sensing and image analysis online textbook. Coverage includes topics such as the physical basis of remote sensing, remote sensing systems, and the integrated analysis of multi-source image data.
Earth From Space
This 2004 publication, which was written by Andrew K. Johnston of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, includes 300 spectacular satellite images viewed at different scales by orbiting satellites, such as the QuickBird and IKONOS satellite sensors.
Earth From Space is much more than a collection of extraordinary images. It also includes background details that explain the tools of the trade, as well as maps that place the photos in context.
For this publication, Satellite Imaging Corporation provided a LANDSAT 7 +ETM satellite image of the Al Hajar mountains in Northern Oman, which was published on page 118. Earth From Space is also available at Amazon.com.
High Resolution Satellite Sensors
The following resources may require the free Adobe Reader to view.
- IKONOS Geometry Accuracy - J. Grodecki and G. Dial — PDF (163 KB)
- IKONOS Geometric Accuracy Validation - J. Grodecki and G. Dial — PDF (374 KB)
- QuickBird Imagery Product Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) — PDF (188 KB)
Associations and Societies
Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, GIS, Geodesy, Surveying, and Mapping
- American Congress of Surveying and Mapping — ACSM
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing — ASPRS
- Association for Geographic Information — AGI
- International Cartographic Association — IGA
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing — ISPRS
- International Federation of Surveyors — FIG
- International Association of Geodesy — IAG
Geological, Geophysical, and Oil & Gas Exploration/Production
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists — AAPG
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists — SEG
- American Association of Professional Landmen — AAPL
- International Association of Oil & Gas Producers — OGP
- International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics — IUGG
- OPG Surveying and Positioning Committee (formerly the European Petroleum Survey Group — EPSG)
Note: Satellite Imaging Corporation provides the resource information for educational and reference purposes only. We are not responsible for the content or accuracy of external sites.